Sunday, May 4, 2008

I love the SUN!

We had a great weekend. It was just one of those weekends where you get a lot accomplished, but also get to relax and enjoy it. Yesterday we spent the day doing work around the house. We must have done 6 loads of laundry, mopped and waxed the floors, mowed the lawn, washed the cars...etc. It felt good to get so much done.
For awhile now my parents have been thinking about getting a Wii, but every store has been out of them since Christmas. Well, Brent came home the other day and said that Target finally had some in stock. So I called my mom and she gave me the OK to get one for her. Of course we had to test it out, so we spent the evening playing and having fun. The kids LOVE it. And today Malia said, "I'm really cold....and one of the ways I can get warm is by playing the Wii, it makes me really warm!" I told her to go outside and soak in the sun.
We enjoyed a beautiful day here. We took all of the kids on a bike ride and I felt a little June Cleaver-ish with the birds chirping, the sun shining and the kids getting along. We went to a neighborhood park and played, then came home for popsicles.
I was given a new calling this week. I was released as the Young women secretary and called as the new sunbeam teacher. I'm sure this has something to do with all of the times i've dropped Cole off at sunbeams, only to have him cry..so I sit with him and try to sneak out, and he cries....so I am now his new teacher. I've been in YW so long (almost ten years...with a few short breaks in there) that today was "culture shock". Let me tell you, being a sunbeam teacher is harder than it looks! But they are so cute. I'm really looking forward to it. I will miss the Young women though and it seemed weird to not be with them today. Does anyone have any great suggestions for fun activities for this age? I know there are tons of ideas online, but I thought I would ask.
Claire is starting to say a few words. Mostly, hi, bye, mommy, doggy. She'll bark like a dog if you ask her too. It's pretty cute! I love that I can put all of her cute dresses on her, now that she's walking. Crawling in a dress is no fun. She has her 12 mo appt tuesday, (I know, only 6 weeks late) so it will be interesting to see what she weighs. Everyone keeps saying how petite she is...but she's got some leg chub going on. She's growing up so fast. Some days I think my kids are going to drive me insane, and some days (like today) I just can't stop looking at them and thinking how blessed I am. I like these days!

5 comments:

Amanda Davis said...

I have been in Primary in many different arenas most of my married life (9 years) with only a 2 small breaks! But I love it. Getting Sunbeams moving and coloring are 2 great things! Lots of singing, change what you are doing about ever 4 minutes! Have them hold a picture, then sing, tell a story, do something moving, The more you plan the more successfull you will be! TRUST ME! (I am the primary president in our ward, and I have found this to be the key with all the age groups OVER PLAN!)

Ditto Family said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend! I was just released from teaching Sunbeams two weeks ago. Although it was nice being Nate's teacher it was an exhausting calling. Like you said, MUCH HARDER than people think. Some of the kids were harder to love than others : )

One idea that I did because opening and closing exercises seemed to be SO painful for several of the kids was to have a paper egg on their chair. They had to keep their egg warm for five weeks (by sitting on it) and then they earned a little treat.

As far as class time I always did about a five minute lesson, snack, craft project (from one of those great books you can buy at Desert Book), and then story time.

Good luck!!! I will always have a great appreciation of Primary teachers and it was really hard for me to be so secluded from the rest of the ward.

Anonymous said...

Oof...sunbeams. I'm in the Primary Presidency right now. Our sunbeam class has only 4 kids in it and we're ready to call a TEAM to teach it. They sure are cute but exhausting to try and teach reverence to and keep them occupied. And by the way, I think calling a mom to teach a sunbeam class or nursery is just mean. But that's just me. Good luck! I'd say to always have a few crackers on hand. I LOVE the paper egg idea. How cute.

EdgyK said...

I was wondering which class you would be teaching. I taught sunbeams once when I was home from college during the summer. They must have given it to me because they thought I wasn't sick of being around kids. I didn't do a very good job since I hadn't had any experience with my own kids. One time I brought a real bird egg and nest for the kids to look at. One of the kids broke it and it smelled so bad. The kids loved it. So I think the paper eggs would work a lot better.

Dawn said...

I loved your post! Loved what Malia said about the Wii. Wow - I didn't realize you had been in Young Women's for so long. We have the same problem with Evan - Jon's been sitting with him in Sharing time, but now that I'm not in nursery any more, I'll probably get my turn to sit with him too.