Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Why do I torture myself so?

We've been talking about getting new countertops for quite awhile now. We picked some out that we liked about a year ago. So we finally decided it was time to do it. But I couldn't stop at that could I? Our cabinets were in really bad shape, really worn down. So we debated refinishing them or painting them. I've always loved white cabinets. Brent was not sold on the idea...but I can be pretty persuasive. So we decided to just go for it. And let me tell you it has been a looongg 7 days. I've been up until 1:00, 2:00, (even 3:00 one night) trying to finish this kitchen. I used an oil based paint and it took forever to dry which didn't help things. Brent put up crown moulding which I love and it turned out great! Here's a before picture:



After we got the countertops on I was not happy with how the tile looked against it. So I decided to paint the tile. I googled painting tile and just went for it. I don't LOVE the tile and if we stay here maybe we'll change it eventually, but for now it's fine.
I do love how much brighter it is. I decided to use my cutter and make some Kitchen Decor...I looked all morning at a few different stores for some signs/decorations to put in the kitchen. I want some red containers to put on the counter. i could not find anything...the few that I did like were way overpriced. So I decided to do my own wall art. I'm still keeping my eye out for some red cannisters and i'll probably do red curtains. Overall I think it turned out really good, and i'm looking forward to some more sleep! ( Julia, should my sign say "too" instead of "to"?) I just noticed that....













14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks pretty nice! I too did a project (built in bookshelves/fireplace mantle) with oil based paint. LOOONNNGGG project. Not fun, but worth it.

Alison said...

One word... WOW! It looks great!

Alison said...

One word... WOW! It looks great!

Ditto Family said...

Oh my goodness! I LOVE IT!!! You guys are amazing, as I have said several times before. Now you are not going to want to leave. I love the wall art (I think it should say "too"). The white cabinets looks awesome and the countertops are perfect.

I can't tell, are you knobs the same?

You guys ought to be WAY proud of yourselves. Now you truly do deserve a little R&R next week...

PDX Toveys said...

Looks good! We're in the middle of a kitchen/living room remodel ourselves and by the looks of it you both should come give us a hand! ha

Deyce said...

It looks great! I'm excited to see it in person. I can't believe you finished the cabinets in a week, even with late nights. I think ours took months!

family member said...

It is beautiful Deena. Ours took way longer than a week. It took us over a week just to get the color and the type of paint right.

Yeah, it needs to be "too". I'll keep my eye out for something red. Is it kind of a brick red?
MOM

Dawn said...

I love it - I can't believe you did it in a week either. We just finished painting our bathroom last year, so we probably averaged about a room a year - how's that for speedy?

Julia said...

Holy cow, your kitchen looks AMAZING!!!! It was worth all the hard work. And yes, it should say "too," but no one's proofreading your walls, right? Except me. Because you asked me to. Too.

EdgyK said...

That looks completely different and I am shocked you painted the tile. You guys should have your own home improvement show. I vote for "too."

Jonna T. said...

I have always liked the white cabinets, and Craig hates them! Why? I think it makes it definitely look way brighter. He has a "thing" against painting perfectly good wood. I would very much like to do something with ours. They are very tired. I can't tell by the photo, what did you guys end up putting on your countertops?

Jonna T. said...

Ok, so I blew up the photo and could see the countertops better. Is that the hi-def laminate? Or is it granite, I couldn't really tell. I've been looking into the hi-def laminate for us. So, now I'm nosy. Is the cost factor really good, because it sure seems good. And, did you guys install it yourselves or have someone do it, because Craig really thinks he can do it himself, and I'm a little wary!

Amanda Davis said...

I love it!!! I would have writen to instead of too also because I only thing to use too when I am meaning also... But it looks great!

Jonna T. said...

Deena, I too have no idea how to post responses. Thanks for the info on the counters. I think they look fantastic, and we too, don't really care if we have granite. It seems ridiculously expensive to me. If it is in a house I one day purchase, fantastic, but I don't think I will be going out of my way to have it anytime soon. We have been looking at some hi-def laminate online, that is granite-looking, and they don't give you much pricing info, so I was curious if it would cost me an arm and a leg. Thanks for the info, I think your kitchen turned out great! What a change some paint and a ton of hard work can make! You make me want to tackle my dining room again. I swore I would never paint it again after the last time, but now I'm thinking I will!