Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Dang global warming...

Dang, it has been cold here! I'm sure anyone in the northwest knows what I mean. It took Brent 3 1/2 hours to get home last night. (he did get lost trying to take the back roads, but still!) We've been mostly homebound, since I prefer not to drive on icy streets. The kids have had snow days every day this week.
These are pictures we took for our Christmas cards. Yes, you heard me right! IT's a tiny christmas miracle, we are doing Christmas cards. You may not receive them by Christmas, but I figure they are fun to get anytime.
So, recently I've been feeling like I should find opportunities to serve other people. To think less about myself and more about what other people might be needing. So Sunday a family was singing in church. They were holding their young toddler who was out of control, so the mom goes to bring him out to the foyer mid-song. Thinking I would help out, I get up so she can hand me the child, thinking she'll go up and finish the rest of the song. Instead I carried a kicking, screaming child out while the mom followed me. (Me not knowing she was following). So I ended up just feeling dumb as I immediately returned to my seat. Then today I thought I would be nice and bring some hot chocolate over to some men who are building a house kiddy corner from our house. I felt bad that they are out in the freezing cold all day. The kids were excited to do this little good deed. So we make hot chocolate, fill up the thermos and find some paper cups. I head over with Jacob, only to have each man refuse my offer for some hot chocolate. One man wouldn't even look up when I asked him, he just sort of chuckled and turned away. So again I end up feeling really dumb. Don't people know that you are supposed to just accept someone's offer for Hot chocolate, even if you don't REALLY want it?? Anyway, my desire to do good deeds has been deflated.....On a better note, we are so excited for Christmas and the three birthday that will follow the three days after Christmas. It's going to be party central around here! Happy holidays.



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have we really come to the point where people don't even recognize when people are doing good deeds for them? My gosh! I think that was very thoughtful of you, Deena!

Jonna T. said...

I myself have noticed that also. It's a sad world when you try to do something nice, and the person thinks you are either kidding, or psychotic. I want to know what's up with the bell ringers. Every year, I give all the change and spare cash I have to the salvation army, and this is the first year I haven't gotten the door opened for me (which is unnecessary, but nice) nor have they said thank you, or even Merry Christmas. In not one, but two different stores. What? Do they just expect and assume we will give money? I was blown away. Then I told myself I was just being selfish, I know I did something nice, so I don't need it to be acknowledged. Then my boss came in to work the other day, and was all perturbed because she too, got ignored by the bell ringer. It was nice to know I was not alone. I feel your Holiday pain. It's hard to do good things when no one notices. But, I always feel some are watching, so I'll keep doing it.

Amanda Davis said...

It is fun to try to do nice things for others! It is hard when your aren't received though! Bummer! Hey I just have to say the last picture on this post, (Sorry I am not sure which one of your kids it is!) looks just like Andrew Ditto when he was little!!!

The Ditto clan said...

Jacob IS a little andrew. Even his mannerisms remind me of him...

Ditto Family said...

Guess you'll have to do some drop and run service...

No snow days over here but it sure has been freezing. Makes me think MEXICO every day!

Can't wait for your Christmas card!

PDX Toveys said...

No excuse for those fools not excepting a kind gesture. Why is so hard for people to be "normal"??
Your kids take very nice photos! Merry Christmas to you all!

The Boys Club plus a girl! said...

Secret Santa is a great way for service, without it being rejected :-) Sometimes Heavenly Father tests our patience to see if we'll persevere! So, hang in there, and maybe you've warmed these people up for other people to serve them! Don't let it deflate you! Just keep moving, like you always do, Deena! Keep up the great work!

Becca said...

Don't give up Deena! I know people can be a bit weird, but you do serve everyone so well even if you haven't seen the benefits. I think those workers were crazy to refuse you! I was also surprised (during that sacrament meeting) when the mom didn't return to sing immediately (when you tried to help with the baby!)

Carter is very sad that Sister Ditto won't be his teacher anymore. He thinks you are the best!